At 1 Fair Moving we want our customers to be ready for their local or long-distance move. Ensuring that you're prepared for moving day helps us make sure that everything is ready to be loaded up and moved to your destination. We have put together the following 4 week checklist of moving tips to help you.
3-4 Weeks Before Moving
• Get rid of anything you aren't bringing with you.
• Find out where to dispose of household chemicals like old paint.
• Make a list of everything you're bringing to your new home.
• Find out the replacement value of all belongings, for insurance purposes.
• Fill out a change of address form. Notify friends, family of your new address.
• Fill out an IRS change of address form.
• Get copies of your medical and dental records, if necessary.
• Get copies of veterinary records, if necessary.
• If you're moving out of state, find out about auto licensing and insurance.
• Change your address on your driver's license.
• Notify your kids' schools and have their records transferred to new schools.
• Return any cable equipment.
• Make hotel and airline reservations if you need them.
8 to 14 days before you move
• Return library books or any other borrowed items.
• Collect all the items you may have loaned out.
• Make arrangements to disconnect gas, electric and other utilities.
• Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new place.
• Arrange to have major appliances prepped for the move.
2 to 7 days before you move
• Get rid of all flammables & figure out what you're bringing with you in the car or plane.
• Arrange for removal of "installed items" you're bringing with you.
• Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries you'll need the first day home.
• Pack a special box with other essentials you'll need for the first few days.
The day before Moving Day
• Take down curtains and curtain rods.
• Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator.
• Make sure it has 24 hours to air dry.
• Clean and air your stove & Plan your breakfast.
• Pack your personal belongings except your alarm clock.
• Go to sleep early you'll be glad of it tomorrow.
• Collect all keys to locking items. Put them in a safe place.
• Strip the beds but leave them intact. We will dismantle them.
• Make sure you're at home when movers arrive, so you can sign an inventory.
• Walk around with the crew chief while he does the inventory.
• Make sure everything is ready for the move.
• Keep your signed bill of lading and inventory in an easily accessible place.
• Make sure the driver has the correct delivery address and phone number.
• Confirm the expected delivery time with the driver.
• Before you leave, do a final walkt hrough of every room. Check all closets and cabinets.